Jundi-Shapur University of Technology, Dezful, Iran
A novel discrete singular convolution (DSC) formulation is presented for the seepage analysis in irregular geometric porous media. The DSC is a new promising numerical approach which has been recently applied to solve several engineering problems. For a medium with regular geometry, realizing of the DSC for the seepage analysis is straight forward. But DSC implementation for a medium with irregular geometry encounters some challenging issues. To overcome the difficulty, a novel DSC scheme for seepage analysis in irregular geometric porous media is proposed. There is no general analytical solution for the seepage analysis in irregular geometries; thus, the validation of the proposed algorithm is carried out by comparing the results with those from available numerical methods. Good agreement between the results shows that the proposed algorithm can be utilized in solving seepage analysis as a new approach.
1. Charles, W. Bert and Moinuddin, Malik (1996). The differential quadrature method for irregular domains and application to plate vibration, International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, 38, 589-606.
2. Civalek, O. (2007). Three-dimensional vibration, buckling and bending analyses of thick rectangular plates based on discrete singular convolution method, International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, Vol. 49, pp. 752-765.
3. Civalek, O. (2008). Vibration analysis of conical panels using the method of discrete singular convolution. Communications in Numerical Methods in Engineering, 24(3),169–181.
4. Han J. B. and Liew, K.M. (1997). An eight-node curvilinear differential quadrature formulation for Reissner/Mindlin plates, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 141, 265–280.
5. Harr, M. E., (1962). Groundwater and Seepage, McGraw-Hill, New York.
6. Hou, Z.J. and Wei, G.W. (2002). A new approach to edge detection, J. Pattern Recognition Society, 35, 1559–1570.
14. Wei, G.W. (2000). Solving quantum eigenvalue problems by discrete singular convolution. Journal of Physics B: Atomic, Molecular and Optical Physics, 33 (3), 343–352.
15. Wei, G.W. (2001c).Vibration analysis by discrete singular convolution. Journal of Sound and Vibration, 244(3), 535–553.
16. Wei, G.W., Zhao, Y.B., Xiang, Y. (2002a). A novel approach for the analysis of high-frequency vibrations. Journal of Sound and Vibration, 257 (2), 207– 246.
17. Wei, G.W., Zhao, Y.B., Xiang, Y. (2002b). Discrete singular convolution and its application to the analysis of plates with internal supports: part 1. Theory and algorithm. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, 55(8), 913–946.
18. Wei, G.W., Zhao, Y.B, Xiang, Y. (2001). The determination of natural frequencies of rectangular plates with mixed boundary conditions by discrete singular convolution, International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, 43(8), 1731–1746.
19. Xiang, Y., Zhao, Y.B., Wei, G.W. (2002). Discrete singular convolution and its application to the analysis of plates with internal supports: part 2. Applications. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, 55(8), 947–971.
20. Xin Zhou, Dian Zhou, Jin Liu, Ruiming Li, Xuan Zeng and Charles Chiang. (2004). Steady-State Analysis of Nonlinear Circuits Using Discrete Singular Convolution Method, Proceedings of the Design, Automation and Test in Europe Conference and Exhibition, IEEE Computer Society.
21. Zayeri Baghlani Nejad, A. and, Shkrollahi, M. (2011). Numerical Solution of Turbulent leakage problem by using new algorithms DSC, Irrigation and water engineering, 2, 36-42, (In Persian).
22. Zhao Y.B., Wei G.W. (2002). DSC analysis of rectangular plates with non-uniform boundary conditions, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 255 (2), 203– 228.
23. Zhao, S., Wei, G.W., Xiang, Y. (2005). DSC analysis of free-edged beams by an iteratively matched boundary method, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 284(1-2), 487–493.